Bet you wonder what happened to me...well, I spent most of this week at the sewing machine, working on Halloween costumes. I made a trip to JoAnn's- and a couple of thrift stores...I am involved in thiscontest, Mandy and I had two large group photo shoots (today-Saturday), a church Halloween Party tonight-and if that all is not enough, I am in charge of the Primary Program...oh well, this room was cleaned-spotless- Wednesday morning...now, Halloween has taken over this corner of the room, along with school papers, and randomness...oh, and our house is still on the market. we are living life on the edge. we could have a showing at any moment!
I am sewing a Taylor Swift dress and new scrub bottoms. Oh, and a guitar strap, 3 faux fur shrugs and a skirt.
I made this vanity for my 6 year old daughter. She has always wanted one and we don't have a lot of room. I came up with this easy idea. I found the round mirror at a garage sale for $5. It was gold, so I spray painted it Krylon Watermelon. I looked everywhere for a small end table, with a drawer, that did not have any supports, so she could have a stool or chair. It was tough! 2 months later, I finally found this ugly thing
I sanded it down, primed it, and used the Krylon Watermelon on it.
My husband put a crystal knob on it, and she is good to go! She loves it! She also is an Eiffel Tower collector, so this makes a great spot to show them off!
I made the Amy Butler Fringed Hobo small bag. I was not a fan of the fringe, so I used piping. The outside fabric (I thinkt) is Michael Miller and the inside fabric is from Hobby Lobby. This bag was definitely an advanced project. This was the first Amy Butler pattern I had used, and I found some of the directions a little hard to follow. I normally sew with patterns, so I was able to figure it out. Did anyone else have problems with the top stitching around the outside? I thought this was the hardest part of the whole bag! Mine was very thick, with all the piping and seams coming together. I redid it several times, and it still needs help! I also used the fleece interfacing on the outside flower material, and a very stiff interfacing on the inside Hobby Lobby fabric. The stiff interfacing was a bad choice, and made things very difficult.
Overall, I love how the bag came out, I love the size. I divided my pockets into thirds, which makes things very easy to organize. I also added a magnetic clasp and a key hook, which I love! No more searching for keys! I don't think I would make another one of these particular bags, but I will try a different pattern in the future!
I found this ugly desk on the curb next to my parents house. This was the same day I found 2 armoires. Triple bonus!!! (I sold one armoire as is for $30, the other I painted and antiqued, pictures to come) Mandy told me I should cut it up, and just use the drawer part as night stands. (We bought a king sized bed back in March, and the current night stands were too big). I ran this idea by Michael, and he loved it so much, he took the top off, and started scraping off paint right then. We wanted to paint them a color because Michael is always giving me a hard time about wanting to paint everything black.
We (Michael) spray painted them Krylon Blue Ocean Breeze. I decoupaged the front with scrap book paper. Michael also routered the edges of the top, and we painted the old ugly shiny silver knobs with Krylon Oiled Rubbed Bronze spray paint.
I love the way they turned out! And for around $10, a very affordable upcycle!